Thursday, January 15, 2009

To Heat or Not to Heat?

So it's starting to get a little chilly here in Lynchburg. Currently it's something like 17 degrees outside and it's supposed to get down into the single digits tomorrow. Now, I am certainly not complaining. I'm actually quite excited about the cold weather finally arriving. I can't imagine what -40 degrees feels like, and I'm sure that's not very fun. However, I really do enjoy the cold weather that usually accompanies these winter months.

But now, I'm facing a dilemna. I have yet to cut the heat on in my apartment these year, other than twice earlier in the winter just to see what it would do and how bad it would smell. Let me qualify that statement by saying that I do live in a well insulated basement, so my apartment stays warmer than many other places. Yet, it's starting to get kind of chilly in here. Currently, my thermometer says that it's 53 degrees in here. It really doesn't feel that cold, but after a while it starts to get to you. You know when your hands are really cold and in a last ditch effort to warm them up, you run your hands under hot water, and you get that stinging sensation? Well that's how my feet felt this morning when I got in the shower. Anyways, I think I'm going to try to make it through this weekend without the heat and see how cold it gets. After that, I'll reassess the situation and decide whether running the heat is worth it.

In other news, I'm on day 2 of my "only water" test. It took me about 45 minutes to figure out that this experiment was not a lot of fun. I'm sticking to it, and I'm drinking plenty of water, but it's just so disappointing everytime I go to the refridgerator, and all I can pull out is my filtered water. It also doesn't help that I still have dozens of empty Dr. Pepper cans all around my apartment; they just serve as a reminder of the greatness that I am missing out on all day long.

Ok, that's enough complaining for one post. I'll leave you this time with an amazing video and song that was brought to my attention by a good friend of mine. After hearing this song, I immediately spent my remaining iTunes giftcard on this album. Check it out here. (Sorry, embedding this video has been disabled, so you'll have to click on the link.) It's by far one of the best covers that I've heard of any song in quite some time. It's definitely worth your time.

1 comment:

  1. Man, that John Mayer song is amazing...
    Here's my hypothesis.
    It will get stinking cold in your apartment.
    Those Dr.Pepper cans will be your downfall
    My solution.
    Turn the heat on crazy.
    Throw away the old cans.
    : )

    ReplyDelete